MAGUS PRESS

Thinking about things, perhaps overanalyzing, Magus Press is dedicated to helping people see through a different lense of reality. Join the revolution.

Thursday, March 30, 2006

Capitalism and Art

A band is only successful on corporate record labels when the label wants the band to be successful. There are other factors, but the majority deals with marketing. You can sell shit if you market it right.

I just watched an amazing music video. The band was talented. There was something lacking.

I thought about how fun it would to make a music video. I thought, "Hey, if I'm ever going to be able to make stuff like this then I'm going to have to let a few corporations take me up the ass." Then I reconsidered. This wasn't how I wanted to make a music video.

Imagine: picking a director, a cast that wanted to perform, actual creative control, a way to express yourself, the ability to market yourself the way that you want to be seen.

Art is dilluted by the corporate process. The bands intentions are dampened by the marketing process. They become nothing more than a mimicry of what they once were.

Do it yourself.

Need a camera? Steal one. Scam one. Borrow them.

Need microphones? Steal them. Scam them. Borrow them.

Need lights? Steal them. Scam them. Borrow them.

However, never mess with independent businesses. They are the real foundation of our liberty and communities. (Theft and scamming should be a political action. Never do it out of greed.)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home